The last week has been filled with lots of activity as we have each gone to the doctor for a physical, obtained proof that we have no outstanding warrants or arrests in Oklahoma City, and had our passport photos taken times 4 (8 photos each!). We are so excited to be on this journey! I, for one, can't wait to be a mom.
Our next step in this process is a completed home study, which is done by a social worker here and later approved by our agency. We only have 3 or 4 more items to complete our home study application, and this part of the process should be under way. We expect to have our home study complete in late February, early March.
After the home study, we send a form to get pre-approval for an orphan visa. I hear this takes about 10 weeks...Then we put all of our newly gathered information (orphan approval and home study approval) with all of our other information in a giant file about us referred to as the dossier. Our dossier is currently about 80% complete, but the most important element (the home study) is, of course, still missing. The dossier will be the set of documents sent to Ethiopia!!!
Before I go, there are probably a few questions worth answering on this forum that we have not done a great job of addressing otherwise. Here are a few "FAQs":
How old will your baby be?
We told them we would take a child under age 2 but expect to get an infant between 4 and 10 months old.
Will it be a boy or a girl?
We figured we wouldn't get to choose this if we were birthing a child, so we "chose not to choose" and told the adoption we would take either. They typically have more boys than girls in care, so this means we are likely to get a boy. However, Ryan's mom Judy had a dream that we brought home a baby girl, so there is hope for either!
Will it be healthy?
We have asked for a healthy baby. Of course, what we consider routine and simple medical treatment here is not readily available there. We expect our baby to have no diagnosed chronic or debilitating disease (including HIV). However, it is not abnormal for children to come home with treatable respiratory illnesses, upset tummies, sometimes even parasites. All of these are treatable in the U.S.
How much does that cost?
Can anyone really estimate when they find out they are pregnant how much the bill will be? Much like any other process, there are always changes and unexpecteds with adoption. If you knew your child was going to spend his first two days in a hospital and it was going to cost more than expected, would you have chosen not to have the child? After your C-section, did anyone ask, "Did that cost a lot?" In the same way, uncertainty and individual variation makes this question impossible to answer. However, one thing we do know, it will definately be worth whatever it costs.
Can you not have children?
Good question. We don't know. We felt we would pursue adoption first. We think birth children are also in our future, but who knows except God?
Rebecca ;)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
1 comment:
Hello guys! (this is Chrissa from way back when in Potter's Clay) I stumbled across your blog in a facebook note - I hope it's ok that I comment.
I just wanted to share my excitement for you!!! I always get an uncontrollable smile on my face when I see soon-to-be-parents, because I know the indescribable joy you are about to enter into. I send you prayers for patience and for a quick process - and look forward to seeing pictures of your new baby! Blessings to both of you, and to your son or daughter that is waiting to join you!
Chrissa Ortega
Post a Comment