Thursday, February 12, 2009

On Our Way to HomeStudy Land

We submitted our documents for our homestudy the beginning of this week. Once our social worker has all of the OTHER paperwork (that over which we have no control), we should be on our way.

Next Steps:
1. Homestudy: an interview with a social worker on how and why we are adopting (at least that's what I assume). Also known as a "home visit," where a professional makes sure your house can accomodate a child. Makes one wonder...."should we buy a crib? or wait?"
2. I-600A to United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS): Just a form, kind of like doing your taxes. Lists basic info about us and gives them forewarning that we want to adopt. We have to wait on our homestudy before we do this.
3. Fingerprinting: The USCIS calls us to tell us we can have an appointment for fingerprinting. I think this is for visas or something.
4. Dossier to Agency: Everything goes together to be bound by our agency and shipped off to Ethiopia. This is TECHNICALLY when the process BEGINS.
5. Waiting list...wait, wait, wait, wait...
6. Referral of a child with information and a picture!
7. Wait for court.
8. Wait to pass court.
9. Wait to travel.
10. TRAVEL!

So, who's ready for step 10?

Rebecca ;)

2 comments:

ck said...

I know I'm ready for step 11 - seeing that sweet little face! So I can only imagine what you guys are feeling... :-) Saying a prayer for him or her right now.

Chrissa

Candy Pearson said...

Yay!!! So exciting! The homestudy will be a breeze! Praying for ya!!