Monday, July 19, 2010

Fourteen Months and Counting

Each day begins the same, with a speedy check of our "Yahoo Group," a giant online email group of adoptive or waiting-to-adopt parents working with our adoption agency. The question is always the same - Has ANYONE heard ANYTHING?

Thankfully, in the last few weeks, the answer has been "Yes." Two families have received referrals of baby girls. Others have received referrals of 4-5 year-old boys. This knowledge gives us hope that things are moving and that paperwork will eventually be completed on children already in care, meaning we will likely EVENTUALLY get a call.

In the meantime, we would love to say we have waited patiently, but it simply isn't the truth. Some days we have waited patiently. Other days we have waited VERY impatiently. Other days we have enjoyed being "just the two of us" a bit longer, taking full advantage of the ease with which we hop in and out of the car to do pretty much whatever we want.

Fourteen months have passed since all of our paperwork was complete for the adoption and in an envelope to Ethiopia. Twenty months have passed since our very first application arrived at our adoption agency. We have not yet been matched with a child, but surely we are nearing the end. Surely...

Rebecca :)

1 comment:

Zelma said...

As I read your blog it reminded me of the YEARS it took for Ray and I to have Christine. Although you are adopting and we were working on a biological child, the waiting and hoping and anticipation were exhilerating and then the let down of NOT YET.

And then there were those calls that came from your Mom. I think the worst was the third time she called with news she was pregnant with Jonathan. Although I was thrilled for her: there was a side of me that would always think "WHY NOT ME?" It's not fair. And everywhere we turned there were pregnant women or mothers with babies. Enough to drive you crazy.

But sweetie I can assure you that when you first hold your child (and it doesn't matter if it is a biological child or an adopted child) you will experience a love soooo profound that it just wipes out all you have been through to get to that point. You won't believe that something so little can have such a hugh impact.

And of course your life as you and Ryan know it now will change forever. Gone are those runs to the grocery store for just one or two items. An outing becomes an EVENT accompanied by all kinds of paraphenalia i.e. diaper bags and bottles and formula and toys, and on and on.

BUT I can tell you this. It is worth every bit of it for that child. I really hope you enjoy being a mom as much as I have enjoyed my original and 4 extras. The years with all of my kids I consider some of my best.

We love you guys and pray that things will go smoothly and you will hear something soon.
Love Zelma and Ray