Sunday, November 16, 2008

More information arrives

Yesterday, November 15th, 2008, we got our introduction packet from the adoption agency. It included information on our next steps in this process, including signing a "commitment" to the process and to caring for orphans in general. We were extremely excited! We had promised we wouldn't tell anyone about this choice until we heard back from the adoption agency and better understood the process. Although we still don't fully understand the process (I Googled the definitions of the words "dossier" and "homestudy" last night), we have decided it is probably okay to let people know we have begun this journey.

Our paperwork said adoptions from Ethiopia were moving swiftly, and that we should begin assembling our dossier as soon as possible after we receive the dossier packet. The dossier as I understand it is a large file of documents outlining our health condition, financial condition, supposed fitness for caring for a child of another race, etc. It requires such things as certified copies of our birth certificates, marriage certificate, divorce decrees, and other legal documents as well as verification that we have health insurance, life insurance, jobs, etc. Many times I have seen adoptive parents and thought they had it easy because of the lack of birthing and potentially potty-training. How ignorant I was!!! In the U.S., no one asks you to prove your efficacy as a parent before becoming pregnant. Nor do they request proof of health, well-being, positive home life, or financial intelligence! I don't think I will be calling this process easy ever again!

Ryan and I are doubly excited. We have already looked at Babies 'R Us, Stork Land, and Baby USA, dreaming about baby stuff. Of course, dreaming is a little different than when you are pregnant. We could get a two-year-old and skip the crib altogether...

Rebecca :)

No comments: